What is the NDSS?
The National Diabetes Services Scheme
(NDSS) is an initiative of the Australian Government that commenced in 1987 and is administered by Diabetes Australia. In NSW your NDSS Agent is Diabetes NSW.
The NDSS aims to enhance the capacity of people with diabetes to understand and self-manage their life with diabetes. We also support people with diabetes by providing timely, reliable and affordable access to the NDSS support services and products.
The NDSS program provides products and services at subsidised prices to people who register for the Scheme. Subsidised products include blood and urine testing strips. Free products include syringes and pen needles.
Your NDSS Agent in NSW is Diabetes NSW
Am I eligible?
Registration with the NDSS is free and open to all Australians who are:
- residents in Australia
- have been diagnosed with diabetes by a medical practitioner, and
- who hold a current Australian Medicare card or Department Veteran Affairs file number
If you are a visitor to Australia from a country with a Reciprocal Health Care Agreement, you may be entitled to temporary registration to the NDSS.
These countries include Belgium, Finland, Italy, Malta, New Zealand, Norway, the Republic of Ireland, Slovenia, Sweden, the Netherlands and the United Kingdom.
However, visitors on a student visa from Finland, Malta, Norway and the Republic of Ireland are not eligible.
For more information, visit http://www.humanservices.gov.au/.
To register, you need to:
- Complete a registration form
- If you are under 15 years old or are an adult receiving continuing care, have your primary guardian or carer complete the ‘Guardian or carer’ section of the registration form
- Have the registration form certified by a registered medical practitioner such as your doctor, endocrinologist or obstetrician, or by a credentialled diabetes educator
- Email the registration form to email@example.com or send the registration form using the details on the form
You can download the registration form by clicking here, or ask your doctor, hospital or pharmacy for a copy of the form.
Where can I access products?
- Diabetes NSW & ACT has an online shop that is available 24/7.
- You can contact our Infoline 1300 136 588 (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday 8.30am until 5.00pm, Saturday 9.00am until 12:30pm) for advice on diabetes management and a range of support programs to help you learn more about managing your diabetes.
- NDSS Access Points also assist in delivering the NDSS products and are mainly located in community pharmacies. To find your local Access Point, call our Infoline or use the Online Services Directory at ndss.com.au.
NDSS Registration Card and Information Book
After you have been diagnosed with diabetes and you have registered with the NDSS, you will receive a Registration Card and an Information book. The book is designed to give you general information about NDSS services, products and understanding diabetes. The Registration Card will be required when purchasing products or accessing services.