Simple tweaks can transform your favourite dish into a healthier version. Accredited Practising Dietitian Karissa Woolfe renovates creamy carbonara into a nutritious meal the family can enjoy, in less than 30 minutes. By swapping cream for avocado, and tweaking other core ingredients, Australian Avocados show it’s possible to turn carbonara from a heart health warning into a healthier heart hero.
400g linguine or spaghetti
1 Tablespoon olive oil
3 rashers of bacon, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
½ cup grated parmesan, plus extra to serve
¼ tsp ground nutmeg
1/3 cup chopped parsley, plus extra to serve
- Cook the pasta in salted boiling water until al dente then drain, reserving ½ cup cooking water
- Heat oil in a large frypan over medium heat. Cook the bacon for 3-4 minutes until crispy then add the garlic. Stir through then remove from heat
- Place the avocado flesh, ½ cup parmesan, nutmeg and reserved water in a food processor, season and pulse until combined
- Add the drained pasta to the pan and stir in the avocado mixture and parsley until well coated
- Divide between four bowls and scatter with parsley.
Nutrients per serve:
|Total Fat (g)||24.0|
|Saturated Fat (g)||7|
|Dietary Fibre (g)||5|
Disclaimer: The above recipe meets the nutrition criteria set by Diabetes NSW. However, the opinions expressed on www.sanitarium.com.au do not necessarily reflect the views of Diabetes NSW.