Chickpea and Nut Cakes
These savoury cakes are great for snacks or with main meals!
Images and recipe reproduced with permission from Nuts for Life www.nutsforlife.com.au
400g can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup roughly chopped toasted hazelnuts
1/2 cup roughly chopped toasted almonds
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon mild paprika
1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
2 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley
2 tablespoons chopped mint
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons wholemeal plain flour
1 cup wholemeal breadcrumbs
lemon wedges to serve
1. Preheat oven to 175C
2. Place the chickpeas, nuts, cumin and paprika in a food processor or blender and blend until nearly smooth
3. Transfer to a bowl and stir through lemon rind, herbs, egg and flour
4. Use wetted hands to roll mixture into cakes, then dust in breadcrumbs
5. Spray with cooking oil spray.
6. Bake the cakes for 20 minutes until golden.
7. Serve with lemon wedges.
|Total Fat (g)||15|
|Saturated Fat (g)||1|
|Dietary Fibre (g)||7|
One serve (two cakes) contains 20 grams of nuts, which is a great bonus for your cardiovascular health!
Disclaimer: The above recipe meets Diabetes NSW nutrient criteria. However, the opinions expressed on http://nutsforlife.com.au/ do not necessarily reflect the views of Diabetes NSW.
Please note the serving size listed is to be used as a guide only. Consider your own individual nutrient and carbohydrate requirements and adjust the serving size as needed. If you are unsure of your requirements consult an Accredited Practising Dietitian for individualised advice.