Fruits of the Forest Yoghurt Compote
Take advantage of the delicious strawberries now in season and try them in this super simple breakfast option!
LiveLighter © State of Western Australia 2013, reproduced with permission.
- 1 C frozen mixed berries or blueberries
- 250 g strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1.5 C vanilla or berry low-fat yoghurt
- 3 Tbs flaked or roasted almonds, roughly chopped
- Place mixed berries or blueberries into a small saucepan and cook over medium heat, gently stirring until berries soften, approximately 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir through strawberries. Allow to cool for at least 5 minutes, longer if time permits.
- Divide half the berry mixture between two glasses. Top with layers of yoghurt, remaining berries then yoghurt. Sprinkle almonds on top and serve.
In additional to being a great source of calcium, yoghurt is also a good source of probiotics which can help maintain a healthy digestive system!
For those requiring a gluten free diet, most yoghurts tend to be gluten free but always remember to check the ingredients.
Nutritional Information (per serve)
|Total Fat (g)||10.6|
|Saturated Fat (g)||1.04|
|Dietary Fibre (g)||6.6|
Disclaimer: The above recipe meets Diabetes NSW nutrient criteria. However, the opinions expressed on livelighter.com.au do not necessarily reflect the views of Diabetes NSW.
Please note the serving size listed is to be used as a guide only. Consider your own individual nutrient and carbohydrate requirements and adjust the serving size as needed. If you are unsure of your requirements consult an Accredited Practising Dietitian for individualised advice.