Getting tired of the same breakfast every morning? Why not try this super speedy; cook in a microwave, flavour-packed porridge.
LiveLighter © State of Western Australia 2013, reproduced with permission. www.livelighter.com.au
- 2/3 C rolled oats
- 1 C low-fat milk
- 1/3 C water
- 1 apple, core removed, coarsely grated with skin on
- 1 tsp orange rind, finely grated
- 2 Tbs sultanas
- pinch ground cinnamon
- Place all ingredients into a large microwave-safe bowl and mix well
- Cook in the microwave on HIGH (100% power) for 3 minutes
- Stir, then cook on HIGH for a further 2 minutes
- Set aside for a few minutes and sprinkle with extra cinnamon, to taste.
– Replace apple with frozen berries or banana
– Vary the dried fruit to include chopped apricots, figs or dates
Nutritional Information (per serve)
|Energy (kJ)||1225 (293Cal)|
|Total Fat (g)||4.5|
|Saturated Fat (g)||1.4|
|Dietary Fibre (g)||6.2|
Disclaimer: The above recipe meets the nutrition criteria set by Diabetes NSW. However the opinions expressed on livelighter.com.au do not necessarily reflect the views of Diabetes NSW.