Pumpkin, pomegranate & chickpea tabouli salad
Perfect as a side with some grilled chicken!
- 1 cup cracked wheat (burghal)
- 750g butternut pumpkin, peeled and cut into 3-4cm pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 4 cups flat-leaf parsley leaves (about 2 bunches)
- 1/2 cup mint leaves, roughly chopped
- 4 green onions (shallots), thinly sliced)
- 50g toasted pinenuts
- 400g can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 small pomegranate, halved and seeds removed
- Preheat oven to 180°C fan-forced. Place cracked wheat into a heatproof bowl. Pour over 1 cup boiling water to cover. Stand for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, spray pumpkin and garlic with oil and sprinkle with cumin. Season with salt and pepper. Place on a large baking tay lined with non-stick baking paper. Bake for 25-30 minutes until crisp at the edges and tender. Remove from oven. Set aside to cool.
- Place cracked wheat, parsley, mint, green onions, pine nuts and chickpeas into a large bowl. Drizzle with lemon juice and oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Gently toss to combine. Spoon into a serving bowl, sprinkle with pomegranate seeds and serve.
Nutritional information per serve
|Total Fat (g)||21.0|
|Saturated Fat (g)||2.5|
|Dietary Fibre (g)||13.3|
Recipe and image reproduced with permission from Sydney Markets.
Disclaimer: This recipe meets the nutrition criteria set by Diabetes NSW. The opinions expressed by each company do not necessarily reflect the views of Diabetes NSW. Please consider your individual nutrient and carbohydrate requirements and adjust as needed.