These pan baked eggs are more than just your typical eggs brekky!
Recipe and image reproduced with permission from LiveLighter.
- olive or canola oil spray
- medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 200 g mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium red capsicum, seeded and diced
- 440 g can salt-reduced baked beans
- 800 g can no-added-salt diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- freshly ground or cracked black pepper
- 125 g baby spinach leaves, chopped
- 1/2 punnet cherry tomatoes, halved
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup fresh Italian parsley, finely chopped, to serve
- Spray a large frypan with oil and place on medium to high heat.
- Add onion and cook for 3 minutes until softened.
- Add garlic, mushrooms and capsicum and cook for 5 minutes.
- Mix through baked beans, canned tomatoes, cumin, paprika and pepper.
- Increase heat and to bring to the boil then simmer for 5 minutes until slightly thickened.
- Add spinach leaves and gently mix until they start to wilt; sprinkle over cherry tomatoes.
- Using a spoon, create 6 little wells, then crack each egg into a well. Cover pan with lid and cook until whites are firm and yolks are just set, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, top with parsley and serve immediately.
Nutrition Information (per serve)
|Total Fat (g)||9.8|
|Saturated Fat (g)||2.2|
|Dietary Fibre (g)||8.1|
To help balance your meal consider serving with a wholegrain slice of toast.
Don’t forget eggs aren’t just for breakfast, this recipe could be used for lunch or dinner.
Disclaimer: The above recipe meets Diabetes NSW & ACT nutrient criteria. However, the opinions expressed on http://livelighter.com.au do not necessarily reflect the views of Diabetes NSW & ACT.
Please note the serving size listed is to be used as a guide only. Consider your own individual nutrient and carbohydrate requirements and adjust the serving size as needed. If you are unsure of your requirements consult an Accredited Practising Dietitian for individualised advice.