Turkey Roulade with Sourdough Apple Stuffing
Tastes great served with cranberry sauce!
Recipe and images reproduced with permission from Equal Choice.
1 large turkey breast (approx. 1.5kg)
4 cups sourdough or rye bread, cut into cubes
50g macadamias, chopped
2 green apples, diced
1 Tbsp fresh thyme leaves (or 2 tsp dried)
2 tsp rosemary
1 small red onion, diced
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp EQUAL SPOONFUL
2 Tbsp currants
1 cup low fat milk
- Combine the bread, nuts, apples, herbs, onion and olive oil. Spread mix on lined baking tray and bake at 165oC for 15 minutes. Return to bowl and stir through the Equal, currants, egg and milk. Mix well.
- Butterfly then flatten the turkey breast with a meat mallet or rolling pin. Open out the fillet and spoon the stuffing along the centre, leaving 5cm on each end.
- Place remaining stuffing in a lightly oiled baking dish, cover and set aside. Bring the edges of the turkey breast around to encase the stuffing and tie with string. Wrap tightly in a few layers of plastic wrap, tying ends to seal, then wrap again in foil.
- Bring water to the boil in a large saucepan, add the turkey then cover and simmer for about 40 minutes. Remove from heat and press lightly to gently release the juices, then remove the foil and plastic wrap and place turkey on a rack in a baking dish 1-2cm liquid in the base. Cover loosely with foil and bake at 180C for an hour.
- Place the remaining stuffing in the oven for the final 30 minutes. Allow turkey to sit for 10 minutes, then slice and serve.
Note: cooking time may vary depending on the size of the turkey, so check after 40 minutes.
|Total Fat (g)||9.9|
|Saturated Fat (g)||2.2|
|Dietary Fibre (g)||2.3|
Dietitian’s Tip: To create a balanced meal, serve with a side of baked sweet potato or corn cob and green beans. Please consider your individual carbohydrate requirements and adjust as needed.
Disclaimer: The above recipe meets Diabetes NSW nutrient criteria. However, the opinions expressed on www.equalchoice.com.au do not necessarily reflect the views of Diabetes NSW.
Please note the serving size listed is to be used as a guide only. Consider your own individual nutrient and carbohydrate requirements and adjust the serving size as needed. If you are unsure of your requirements consult an Accredited Practising Dietitian for individualised advice.