The carers role within the health care team is a valuable one. Keeping medical appointments, assisting with medication delivery and day to day support of nutrition and activity needs for an individual is vital to their health and survival. Caring for the elderly or disabled people with diabetes poses distinct but at times similar challenges.
When caring for someone with diabetes, establishing a patient management care plan with the GP can be of great help. This plan can give a carer guidance and structure to their supports of the person in their care.
Family and carers should also explore the local community for support programs. Discussing care arrangements with a diabetes team, GP and/or practice nurse will help you access services like homecare nursing to reduce the burden on you and boost quality of care for the individual.
Diabetes NSW runs community education and prevention programs for people living with or at risk of diabetes, their carers and family, as well as health professionals.
A carers role in the healthcare team is a valuable one
Diabetes is the fastest growing chronic condition in Australia
Diabetes NSW provides a broad range of support services including:
- a dedicated Customer Care Line 1300 342 238, for anyone seeking support, services, information, including advice from health professionals on diabetes, its complications and prevention strategies;
- statewide Support Group Network available to members, providing education;
- information, management, lifestyle and dietary information and support services. (There are also supporting parents and young people’s networks focussing on the specific needs of these groups);
- regional resource centres and shops;
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander (ATSI) specific education and support services;
- Culturally and Linguistically Diverse (CALD) community services providing appropriate diabetes education and support;
- paediatric services focussing on the needs of babies, young people and adolescents who have diabetes, as well as those who care for them; and
- health professional education and training services.