Help and support
When you’re first diagnosed with diabetes it’s important to spend time with your healthcare team including your credentialed diabetes educator and endocrinologist so you understand how to manage your diabetes and live well.
You also have access to a range of services, programs, events and information to help make managing your diabetes on a day-to-day basis a little easier.
The National Diabetes Services Scheme (NDSS)
The NDSS provides a range of services to help you manage your diabetes including free and subsidised products, educational events, and advice via the NDSS Helpline – 1300 136 588.
These services are available to everyone registered with the NDSS, which is open to all Australians who:
- Are residents of Australia,
- Have been diagnosed with diabetes by a medical practitioner, and
- Hold a current Australian Medicare card or Department of Veterans’ Affairs file number.
To register for the NDSS:
- Complete the registration form, which you can download here, or ask your doctor, hospital or pharmacy for a printed copy.
- Have the form certified by a registered medical practitioner such as your doctor, endocrinologist or credentialed diabetes educator.
- Email the form to firstname.lastname@example.org, or mail it to the address provided on the form.
For more information about the NDSS or for help with registering for the scheme, call the Helpline on 1300 136 588.
Factsheets and translated resources
To help you understand and better manage your diabetes we have developed a range of information sheets covering topics such as diabetes and exercise, dietary advice and diabetes self-management. The information has been designed to help you maintain your health and wellbeing and lower your risk of developing diabetes-related complications.
You can download our helpful factsheets here.
Our information sheets have also been translated into 20 languages for culturally and linguistically diverse communities with a high prevalence of diabetes. Download our translated resources here.
Events and group education programs
Diabetes events and group education programs are a great opportunity for you to meet with health professionals such as credentialed diabetes educators, accredited practicing dietitians and exercise physiologists. They also help you connect and share experiences with others living with diabetes.
The more you know, the more confident you will become and the easier it will be to manage your diabetes. That’s why our events and group education programs focus on providing you with information, practical advice and product knowledge. Sessions are delivered for all types of diabetes in major cities, regional and rural areas, and cover topics such as:
- Diabetes self-management strategies
- Healthy eating, carbohydrate counting and food choices
- Understanding medications and insulin use
- Dealing with complications that may arise
- Looking after your emotional health
You can find information on upcoming events in your area by searching online here or by phoning our Helpline 1300 342 238.