Beat It: A free eight week programFriday, 30 August 2019
The Beat It program isn’t just kicking goals with participants shifting ‘pant size’ and ‘fitness level’, it is also helping people connect with others.
Keen to know more about Beat It?
Beat It is a free, NDSS funded, eight week physical activity and lifestyle program delivered by Accredited Exercise Physiologists who have undertaken training with Diabetes NSW & ACT.
Beat It is available throughout NSW, ACT and Queensland.
The program involves moderate intensity aerobic, strength and balance based exercises as well as education sessions on healthier living.
Whether you have exercised before or need some help getting started, the Beat It program will help you on your journey to a healthier and more active life. Classes start slowly and build up as fitness, strength and confidence improves.
Your Exercise Physiologist will tailor individual exercises to your specific needs within a friendly, motivating and supportive environment.
- An initial health and fitness assessment
- 16 group sessions (two per week)
- An individualised exercise program
- Education sessions throughout
- Progress tracking
- A final consultation
Are you eligible?
Are you a person living with diabetes or other chronic lifestyle conditions who wants to increase their physical activity? If you answered YES, then YES you’re eligible.
Importantly though you must be able to commit to the eight weeks of the program (two sessions per week).
How do you get started?
- Call 1300 342 238 or visit diabetesnsw.com.au/events (search for Beat It) and register for the eight week program. Bookings are essential as there are limited places available.
- Look out for your starter pack in the mail, and get your Medical Clearance form signed by your GP before your initial consultation.
- Attend your 45 minute initial consultation with your Beat It trainer before the eight week program starts.
- Attend your group exercise sessions and education sessions. You must be able to attend every session for the duration of the eight week program.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does the program cost? There are a limited number of National Diabetes Services Scheme (NDSS) funded programs available across the states and territory. These programs are free for participants to attend for the initial eight week program. You can contact us to find out if there is a funded program near you.
Is there an age restriction on who can participate? There is no age restriction to participate in the BEAT IT program. The program is designed to meet your personal needs and can be modified according to your current level of fitness and physical capabilities.
Do I need medical clearance to participate? YES to ensure your safety and ongoing good health, anyone with or at risk of diabetes and other chronic lifestyle-related conditions will require medical clearance from their GP prior to participating in the program.
The results speak for themselves
- 88.8% of participants have more motivation as a result of the program
- 77.5% have a better understanding of exercise
- 61.3% made new friends
- 60.2% have higher energy levels
- 59.6% enjoy healthier eating habits as a result of completing the program
- 35% have improved blood pressure
Feedback from participants
Still thinking about whether Beat It is right for you? Here’s some feedback from participants who recently completed the program.
“Beat It has given me a community and support to enjoy exercise.” 66 yr male
“I think most people will appreciate the social interaction in a structured group as well as being able to talk to like individuals about diabetes, as well as the physical benefits of doing the exercises.” 71 yr male
“I have met a great group of people to exercise with. I am more encouraged to do more exercises and enjoy going.” 57 yr female.
“Getting out and socialising with other people, meeting new people” 59 yr female.