Why take part?
DiRECT-Aus will help you potentially lose weight and put your type 2 diabetes into remission. You will have access to a structured weight management program, including meal replacement shakes and bars at no cost and the support of a dietitian to help you make healthy lifestyle choices.
While not everyone may be able to achieve diabetes remission, there are other benefits of being involved. The structured weight management program will provide education and advice to promote and support you in making healthy lifestyle choices. You may also improve your blood glucose levels, reduce your blood pressure and cholesterol and reduce your diabetes medication.
How do I know if I’m eligible?
The basic eligibility criteria are listed below:
- age 20-65 years
- must have had type 2 diabetes for no more than 6 years
- must have a body mass index greater than 27 kg/m²
If you are interested in taking part and meet the basic eligibility criteria, please book in for a screening consultation with your GP. Your GP will determine final eligibility based on recent blood test results and past medical history.
If I am eligible, what does participation in the study mean?
Being involved in the study means that you will:
- take part in the structured weight management program, which includes seeing a dietitian to guide you through the diet phases and to support and promote your healthy lifestyle changes
- have regular blood tests
- complete study questionnaires
- Your weight, waist circumference, blood pressure and capillary blood glucose will be recorded at each visit
- continue to see your GP for routine care
It is entirely your choice whether you take part in this study. If you choose to take part, you are free to withdraw at any time. Taking part in this study will not affect your routine care with your GP or your GP practice.
What are the next steps?
If you are interested, ring the DiRECT-Aus helpline and speak to a member of the study team. You can complete a telephone pre-screening, which involves answering questions about your past medical history and recent blood test results. With your permission, we are able to contact your GP practice to gather this information on your behalf.
If you prefer, you may speak with your GP Practice about participation in the study.
Once you have been pre-screened as eligible to take part, book in with your GP for a DiRECT screening consultation. Your doctor will determine whether you are eligible to participate.
Take the following steps to enrol in the study
- Download the participant info pack
- Ring 1300 234 736 for additional study details and a telephone pre-screening
- see your GP for screening consultation to determine final eligibility. When booking in for the screening consult, inform reception that you are booking in for a “DiRECT screening consultation”
Please note – DiRECT is a structured weight management program delivered as a collaboration between you, your GP and dietitian. You will receive ongoing support and medical supervision. You should always consult your doctor and health care providers before making any changes to your diet and how you look after your diabetes.
If you have additional questions, please contact us at 1300 234 736 or firstname.lastname@example.org.