COVID-19 safety measures
For attendees and staff at our diabetes education events
We’re here for you, and we’re committed to keeping you safe at our upcoming events. Things are a little different now, but we’ve implemented new measures to protect the safety and wellbeing of attendees and staff at our diabetes education events. We hope to see you sometime soon!
What to expect at our events
- COVID-Safe venues
We will only run events at venues who have registered as a COVID-Safe business and have provided us with a copy of their COVID-Safe Plan.
- Physical distancing
Larger room size to accommodate a minimum of 4 square metres per person and at least 1.5 metres spacing between each seat.
- Reduced capacities
We have reduced the capacity of most events to just 15 people. This means unfortunately partners or additional guests won’t be able to attend for now, unless they are a carer providing essential support.
- Additional COVID-19 safety screening
Diabetes NSW & ACT Health Professionals will conduct temperature checks and ask a few screening questions to everyone entering our events.
- Recording contact details
Contact details including name, address, and phone number of everyone attending the event will be collected to assist health authorities with contact tracing if required.
- Reduced contact
Frequently touched/shared items such as water jugs and glasses, pens etc. will no longer be provided at our events. A list of items you should bring with you is below.
- Hand hygiene
Access to hand washing facilities and hand sanitiser.
What you need to do before attending our events
- Register for the event at diabetesnsw.com.au/events, or call the NDSS Helpline on 1800 637 700
- You must pre-book before attending the event, as we strictly cannot accept walk-ins.
- Only one person per booking – no partners or additional guests (unless they are a carer providing essential support; assessed on a case-by-case basis by Diabetes NSW & ACT Health Services team).
- If more than one member of your group (e.g. your partner, family member or friend) has diabetes and wishes to attend the event, each person must make a separate booking with their own NDSS number.
- Update your contact details
- When you make your booking, please check your address, phone number, and email address are up to date.
- Know the symptoms of COVID-19. STAY HOME and follow the advice of local health authorities if you feel unwell. Do not attend the event if you are experiencing symptoms, which include:
- Sore throat
- Shortness of breath
- If you have been to a location or ‘hotspot’ with known COVID-19 cases within the past 14 days, STAY HOME and follow the advice of local health authorities. Do not attend the event.
- Visit nsw.gov.au/covid-19 for more information.
- If you can no longer attend the event, please call or email us to cancel your booking. Due to the reduced event sizes, there is a waitlist for the event and we can offer your place to someone else.
- Bring along the following items with you:
- A full water bottle/drink bottle
- A pen and note paper
- Your preferred ‘hypo’ (low blood glucose) treatment e.g. juice poppa, jellybeans; and/or other snacks
- Reading glasses (if required)
- A face covering e.g. face mask if it is recommended at the time by local health authorities, or if it becomes a Government-mandated requirement. Stay up-to-date at nsw.gov.au/covid-19
- Please arrive 15min early to allow extra time for check-in requirements such as temperature checks and collection of contact details.
Conditions of entry
The event may be subject to postponement or cancellation if the local area becomes a COVID-19 ‘hotspot’ or there is increased community transmission in the area. Diabetes NSW & ACT will continually monitor the updates and alerts from NSW Health, and contact registered attendees if there are any changes.
To ensure the health and safety of all participants and staff, the following conditions of entry apply to our events. Diabetes NSW & ACT reserve the right to refuse entry to any person who does not satisfy the requirements.
- You must have a confirmed pre-booking. Walk-ins will not be accepted. Waitlist registrations are not considered a confirmed booking.
- Before entering the event, you will be asked the following questions:
- Are you experiencing any cold or flu-like symptoms?
- Have you been in contact with someone with COVID-19?
- Have you been tested for COVID-19 and are awaiting your results?
- Have you been to a known hotspot within the last 14 days?
- If you answer YES to any of these questions, you will be asked to go home and follow the advice of local health authorities. You must STAY HOME and do not attend the event if any of these apply to you.
- Your temperature will be checked by a Diabetes NSW & ACT Health Professional. If it is above 37.5°C, you will be asked to go home and follow the advice of local health authorities.
- You must provide your contact details to Diabetes NSW & ACT staff on the day, including full name, address, and phone number.
- Hand hygiene – wash your hands with soap and water, or use hand sanitiser before entering the event.
- Wear a face covering e.g. face mask if it is recommended at the time by local health authorities, or if it becomes a Government-mandated requirement. Stay up-to-date at nsw.gov.au/covid-19