10 December 2020 Online
Making Sense of Your BGLs and Exercise: A Practical Experiment
This live webinar is for people living with type 1 or type 2 diabetes.
This webinar will look to practically make sense of the effects exercise can have on BGL’s and how and why it can cause them to rise and fall during exercise. This webinar will require participants to do a small amount of physical activity, so please ensure you wear comfortable clothing suitable for exercise and have a water bottle nearby. Please have with you your blood glucose monitor and in-date test strips. For those who are on glucose lowering medications and/or taking insulin please have a hypo kit with you, as you will be asked to show these to health professionals conducting the webinar prior to commencing the session. For the exercise component of the webinar the only equipment that will be required is a chair (without wheels), a resistance band (if you have one) and either two food cans from your pantry or two filled up water bottles.
The session will include:
- Taking a pre-exercise blood glucose check
- Discussion of safe blood glucose ranges for exercise
- 15 minutes of aerobic exercise
- Discussion on the effects of exercise and BGL’s and why these increase and decreases in BGL’s occur.
- Post exercise BGL check
- 5 minutes of resistance strength exercises
- Post-exercise BGL check
- Discussion + Q&A around BGL results that have been taken by the participants throughout the webinar.
Registrations are required. A Zoom link and instructions will be emailed to you the day before the webinar.