About the Live Your Life Community
Being a member of the Live Your Life Community is an easy way for you to connect with others who understand the day to day of living with diabetes.
Whether it’s asking questions about food and exercise, sharing recipes, talking about medication or finding a friendly ear on a tough day, the Live Your Life Community is a place to connect with others who understand how you feel. A place where you’ll find caring support and practical tips and advice.
It’s also a place where you can ask questions of Diabetes Australia’s team of health professionals, who can help you manage your diabetes in a way that works best for you.
Below are answers to frequently asked questions about our Community and the benefits of joining.
What is the Live Your Life Community?
The Live Your Life Community is the name given to all members of Diabetes Australia. As a member you have access to a range of benefits including:
- The Live Your Life Community Forum – This online forum allows you to connect, ask questions and have conversations with other members and health professionals.
- Health information and recipes – Our quarterly member magazine, Circle, is full of helpful articles, delicious recipes and up-to-date information on new advances in diabetes research and technology. You will also receive monthly eNewsletters to keep you up to date with what’s new in the world of diabetes.
- Expert advice – You can call us on 1300 342 238 to speak with a trained health professional about your questions on diet, exercise, managing your diabetes or even how to cope when it all gets too much. There are no wrong questions. The more you ask the more you know.
- Education and support events – Members receive free or discounted admission to events designed to help you manage your diabetes and connect you with others in our community.
- Live Your Life Rewards – Exclusive discounts and offers from our partners and the online diabetes shop.
As a member of the Live your Life community you’ll also be contributing to advocacy with all levels of government on issues important to people living with diabetes as well as supporting diabetes research into new treatments and a possible future cure.
How much does it cost?
Membership costs $60 a year or $33 for concession card holders.
For your convenience and to save time and money, when you join as a member you need to provide a credit or debit card number that will be charged monthly or annually depending on your preference.
If you prefer to pay monthly, the cost is $5.50 per month or $3 per month for concession card holders.
As a charity we strive to be economical so that we can devote resources to the services you value.
What concession cards do you accept?
The following cards will entitle you to a concessional discount:
- Seniors Card
You will need to provide us with your card type, number and expiry date.
If you have a DVA Gold or DVA White card please call our helpline on 1300 342 238.
How do I pay to join?
It’s easy to join and become a member of the Live Your Life Community either online or over the phone:
Online: You can pay using your Visa, Mastercard or AMEX credit or debit card. To join online simply click here.
Phone: Call us on 1300 342 238 and one of our friendly staff can help you become a member over the phone today.
How do you use the joining fees?
Your fees are invested into programs and services designed to help and improve the lives of people living with all types of diabetes. These include:
- Supporting diabetes research,
- Delivering metro and regional events for the diabetes community,
- Providing access to health professionals who provide expert advice on diabetes,
- Advocating on your behalf and
- Publishing information relevant to people with diabetes.
What is the difference between my NDSS card and my Diabetes Australia membership?
The National Diabetes Services Scheme (NDSS) is an Australian Government initiative providing support for people living with diabetes. When you are registered with the NDSS you have access to subsidies for diabetes-related products such as needles and syringes, as well as educational programs and services.
Diabetes Australia is a member-based charity dedicated to helping improve the lives of people living with diabetes, as well as their families, friends and carers. With a range of exclusive benefits, membership gives you access to important tools to better manage your diabetes and helps the diabetes community by funding advocacy and essential research.
|Subsidies on diabetes related products||√|
|Free education events and programs||√||√|
|Expert advice via our Contact Centre||√||√|
|Information to help you manage your diabetes||√||√|
|Online community forum||√|
|Member only webinars||√|
|Partner discounts inc. diabetesshop.com||√|
|Access to Psychologist service||√|
|Advocacy and lobbying||√|
|Support medical research||√|
If I am joining Diabetes Australia why am I joining on the Diabetes NSW & ACT website?
Diabetes NSW & ACT is a wholly owned subsidiary of Diabetes Australia. As Diabetes NSW & ACT is your local branch we manage your membership on behalf of Diabetes Australia. This ensures you have the best of both worlds. You are part of a national organisation that provides a stronger and powerful voice for the diabetes community and have access to state based events and a local team so you don’t miss out on that localised personal touch.
How do I update or change my personal details?
You can update your personal details by calling us on 1300 342 238.
Where can I find my membership number?
Your membership number is located on the email you were sent when you joined. If you can’t find it, or don’t remember your membership number, please call us on 1300 342 238 and one of our friendly team will be able to help you.
How do I apply for a Kellion Victory Award?
The Kellion Victory Award recognises and celebrates what is possible while living with diabetes. The Kellion Victory Awards are presented throughout the year to acknowledge people who have lived with type 1 or type 2 diabetes for 50, 60 and 70+ years. Find out more about the Kellion Awards.