Allspice Chicken with Chimichurri and Brown Rice
- Serves 4
- 15 Ingredients
- 15 Minutes Prep
- 30 Minutes Cook
- Energy 2139kJ
- Protein 34.3g
- Fat (total) 21.7g
- - Saturated Fat 3.7g
- Carbohydrate (total) 40.7g
- Fibre 7.5g
- Sodium 72mg
¾ cup brown rice
4 spring onions, finely sliced
2 tablespoons currants
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar, plus 2 tablespoons extra
2 cups baby spinach
1 punnet cherry tomatoes, halved
1 bunch firmly packed basil leaves
2 teaspoons ground cumin, plus 1 tablespoon extra
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, 1 tablespoon extra
2 teaspoons allspice
2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
8 chicken tenderloins (or 2 chicken breast fillet, sliced 1.5cm thick)
2 bunches asparagus
1 long red chilli, finely sliced
3 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- Place rice in a small saucepan, cover with hot water and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 18- 25 minutes or until tender. Stir through spring onion, currants, cherry tomatoes, two tablespoons of vinegar and baby spinach.
- To make the chimichurri finely chop the basil (reserve ¼ bunch leaves for serving) and combine in a bowl with two teaspoons of cumin, olive oil and remaining two tablespoons of red wine vinegar. Set aside to serve.
- Rub remaining cumin and the allspice over the chicken. Heat a large frying pan with one tablespoon of olive oil. Cook over high heat for 2-3 minutes each side or until golden and just cooked through. Remove chicken from pan and add asparagus, chilli and garlic. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until asparagus is bright green and lightly charred.
- Serve chicken and asparagus on rice with chimichurri to top.
Dietitian Notes / Recipe Tips
Recipe and image reproduced with permission from DAA and Sprout http://healthyweightweek.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/ahww-Cookbook-bumper-2017.pdf .