Lamb and Barley Soup
- Serves 6
- 9 Ingredients
- 10 Minutes Prep
- 1 Hour 10 Minutes Cook
- Energy 957kJ
- Protein 19g
- Fat (total) 9.5g
- - Saturated Fat 2.8g
- Carbohydrate (total) 14.6
- Fibre 3.5g
- Sodium 58.1mg
500g lamb offcuts (on the bone)
1 carrot, chopped
1 stalk celery, including the leaves, chopped
1 potato, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 teaspoon dried Italian herbs
1/2 cup barley or soup mix
1 teaspoon reduced-salt vegetable stock powder (or 1 cube)
freshly ground or cracked black pepper, to taste
- Cut any visible pieces of fat off the meat and discard.
- Place all ingredients in a medium saucepan.
- Add 1.5 litres of water to completely cover the ingredients. Add more if needed.
- With a lid on, place the pan on a high heat until boiling.
- Reduce the heat to low and cook for 1 hour or until the meat is easily pulled from the bone.
- Take off the heat and allow pot to cool for 20 minutes.
- Place the covered pot in the fridge to cool overnight. Remove the visible fat from the top with a spoon and discard.
- Remove the meat from the bones and discard the bones.
- To serve, warm the soup over medium heat for 10-15 minutes until heated through.
Image and recipe reproduced with permission from LiveLighter © State of Western Australia 2015. For more healthy recipes and tips visit www.livelighter.com.au