Lentil Potato Spinach Soup
- Serves 5
- 10 Ingredients
- 20 Minutes Prep
- 1 Hour Cook
- Energy 1191kJ
- Protein 17g
- Fat (total) 6g
- - Saturated Fat 0.9g
- Carbohydrate (total) 37g
- Fibre 8g
- Sodium 79mg
1 cup dry green lentils
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 medium onions, chopped
2 cups reduced sodium gluten free vegetable or chicken stock
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1 packet (~280g) frozen spinach, thawed and chopped finely
2 medium potatoes, cubed
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste
- Cover lentils with water in a medium saucepan. Bring to boil and simmer, covered for 20 minutes. Set aside. Drain liquids.
- Saute onions in a large saucepan, until browned. Add vegetable (or chicken) stock, lentils and remaining ingredients except lemon juice.
- Cook mixture for about 1 hour until lentils and potatoes are tender.
- Puree 1/4 of total soup and return to saucepan.
- Stir in lemon juice just before serving.
Dietitian Notes / Recipe Tips
Lentils are a great source of soluble fibre which helps to slow digestion, keeping you feeling fuller for longer and releases glucose into the bloodstream at a slower rate.
Recipe and image reproduced with permission from Pulse Canada www.pulsecanada.com