Salmon with Herbs, Cucumber Pickle and Egg
- Serves 1
- 7 Ingredients
- 10 Minutes Prep
- 50 Minutes Cook
- Energy 2100kJ
- Protein 36.0g
- Fat (total) 21.0g
- - Saturated fat 6.0g
- Carbohydrate (total) 33.0g
- Fibre 8.0g
- Sodium 226mg
1⁄3 cup rye berries or pearl barley
4 ounces salmon fillet
Mixed dried or fresh herbs, such as chives, dill, and parsley leaves
¼ seedless (English) cucumber, coarsely chopped
½ cup apple cider vinegar
Leaves from 4 sprigs fresh parsley
1 large egg, hard-boiled and halved
- Bring a medium saucepan of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the rye and reduce the heat to medium. Cook the rye until it is tender, 20 to 30 minutes. Drain in a sieve, rinse under cold running water, and let cool.
- Meanwhile, fill a skillet halfway with water and bring to the boil over medium heat. Add the salmon and place the herbs on top. Reduce the heat to low. Cover and simmer for 5 to 7 minutes, until the salmon is rosy pink when flaked in the center. Using a slotted spatula, transfer to paper towels to drain.
- While the salmon is cooking, bring the vinegar to a boil in a small saucepan. Put the cucumber in a small bowl, sprinkle with salt, and pour in the hot vinegar. Set aside for 5 minutes, then drain. Mix with the drained rye and parsley in a medium bowl.
- Place the salmon on a dinner plate, top with the cucumber mixture, and serve with the egg alongside.
Reprinted from The Nordic Way: Discover The World’s Most Perfect Carb-to-Protein Ratio for Preventing Weight Gain or Regain, and Lowering Your Risk of Disease by arrangement Pam Krauss Books, an imprint of Penguin Publishing Group, a division of Penguin Random House LLC. Copyright © 2017, Arne Astrup, Jennie Brand-Miller and Christian Bitz.