Spicy Orange Chicken with Baked Vegetable Parcels
- Serves 4
- 11 Ingredients
- 15 Minutes Prep
- 30 Minutes Cook
- Energy 1699kJ
- Protein 33.9g
- Fat (total) 9.8g
- - Saturated Fat 2.4g
- Carbohydrate (total) 40.6g
- Fibre 9.9g
- Sodium 266mg
8 chicken lovely legs (800g) or skinless drumsticks, trimmed of fat
Juice of 2 oranges (200ml)
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon ground cumin or coriander
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 tablespoon honey
Grated rind of 1 orange
700g pumpkin, peeled, cut into 1cm cubes
500g sweet potato, peeled, cut into 1cm cubes
1 red onion, sliced into wedges
440g can no-added-salt chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan forced).
- Divide orange juice, garlic, cumin/coriander and pepper evenly between two cups, stir to combine.
- Add honey and rind to one cup for chicken marinade.
- Place chicken in a medium sized baking dish, pour honey marinade over and toss to coat chicken.
- To make vegetable parcels, cut four 50cm lengths of both baking paper and foil.
- Place foil on a flat surface, top with baking paper.
- Divide the pumpkin, sweet potato, onion and chickpeas amongst the parcels.
- Pour 1/4 marinade on each parcel. Fold the long sides of baking paper and foil over filling to enclose, tuck short sides under to seal. Place parcels on a tray and bake with chicken, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Turn legs over and cook for a further 15 minutes until chicken is browned and cooked through, and vegetables are tender.
- Divide chicken between plates, spoon over any pan juices.
- Add a vegetable parcel to be opened on the table, or spoon vegetables and sauce onto plates. Serve immediately
Dietitian Notes / Recipe Tips
Add a handful of cherry tomatoes to vegetable mix before baking or stir baby spinach leaves through vegetable parcels prior to serving. This will boost your vegetable intake, helping you reach the 5 serves of vegetables per day target.
Recipe and image reproduced with permission from LiveLighter © State of Western Australia 2013.