Vanilla Bean Yoghurt with Poached Rhubarb
- Serves 4
- 6 Ingredients
- 1 Hour Prep
- 6 Minutes Cook
- Energy 618kJ
- Protein 19g
- Fat (total) 2.7g
- - Saturated Fat 1.7g
- Carbohydrate (total) 19g
- - Sugar 19g
- Fibre 2g
- Sodium 104mg
600g reduced fat Australian yoghurt
300g rhubarb, approx. 6 stems, cut into 5 cm lengths
2 strips of orange rind
1 tablespoon water
1 1/2 tablespoons caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence or scraped beans from a vanilla pod
- Place yogurt into a paper towel lined sieve, over a large bowl.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1-2 hours or overnight.
- Place rhubarb, orange rind, water and sugar in a frying pan.
- Simmer gently for 6-8 minutes until rhubarb is just tender. Allow to cool.
- Stir vanilla into yoghurt and spoon between serving glasses.
- Top with rhubarb mixture and serve.
Dietitian Notes / Recipe Tips
This recipe is low in fat and contains a wonderful mix of vitamins and minerals. In particular yoghurt is a good source of calcium which is important for bone health. Remember to choose low fat or skim varieties of yoghurt to reduce your saturated fat intake. Saturated fat can increase your risk of heart disease.
Recipe and image reproduced with permission from the Dairy Kitchen.