Vegetarian Pad Thai©
- Serves 4
- 19 Ingredients
- 5 Minutes Prep
- 10 Minutes Cook
- Energy 1650kJ
- Protein 16g
- Fat (total) 12g
- - Saturated Fat 2g
- Carbohydrate (total) 40g
- Fibre 6g
- Sodium 430mg
200g dried rice stick noodles
3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
2 birds eye chilies, deseeded and chopped (optional)
3 coriander roots, roughly chopped
2 teaspoons peanut oil
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 red onion, finely sliced
1 tablespoon tamarind concentrate
2 teaspoons brown sugar
125g tofu, cut into 2cm pieces
1/4 cup roasted, unsalted peanuts, chopped
3 cups bean sprouts
6 shallots (green onions) finely sliced
2 tablespoons reduced salt soy sauce
1 tablespoon lime juice
1 lebanese cucumber, cut into matchsticks
2 tablespoons coriander leaves, whole
1 tablespoon mint leaves, whole
Lime wedges to serve
- Place noodles in a large heatproof bowl, cover with boiling water; stand until just tender, drain.
- Using a mortar and pestle, or small food processor, crush garlic, chilies and coriander to a paste.
- Heat 2 teaspoons of the oil in a wok or large frying pan.
- Pour egg into wok; cook over medium heat, tilting pan, until almost set.
- Remove omelette from wok; roll tightly, slice thinly.
- Lightly fry tofu in batches in wok and place to side.
- Heat remaining oil in wok or frying pan, stir-fry onion until soft but not coloured, add paste, tamarind concentrate, brown sugar, lime juice and tofu.
- Stir fry for 2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add half the nuts, sprouts and shallots; stir fry until sprouts are just wilted.
- Add noodles, sauce and juice; stir-fry until hot. Remove from heat; sprinkle with omelette, cucumber, coriander, mint and remaining nuts, sprouts and shallots over Pad Thai.
- Serve with lime wedges.
Dietitian Notes / Recipe Tips
We all know a Pad Thai is not complete without bean sprouts but they are also an excellent ingredient to add to your stir fries, salads and even sandwiches. Bean sprouts are rich in vitamins and minerals.
Recipe and image kindly provided by Sanitarium Health & Wellbeing Company.