Wheat Berry and Quinoa Tabouleh
- Serves 6
- 9 Ingredients
- 10 Minutes Prep
- 1 Hour Cook
- Energy 817kJ
- Protein 4.9g
- Fat (total) 6.9g
- - Saturated Fat 1.1g
- Carbohydrate (total) 28.7g
- Fibre 5.9g
- Sodium 125mg
1 cup wheat berries (wheat grains)
1/3 cup white quinoa
2/3 cup salt reduced vegetable or chicken stock
200g grape tomatoes, halved
¾ cup chopped fresh continental parsley
1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
2 green onions, thinly sliced
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Lemon wedges, to serve
- Place wheat in a saucepan with 3 cups of water and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 50 – 60 minutes or until wheat is tender. Drain and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, add quinoa and stock to a small saucepan. Bring to the boil then reduce heat to low. Cover and cook for 10 – 12 minutes or until stock is absorbed and quinoa is tender. Fluff with a fork and set aside to cool.
- Add quinoa, tomatoes, parsley, mint and onion to the wheat. Toss to combine.
- Combine lemon juice and oil in a jug and season with salt and pepper to taste. Pour over wheat mixture. Toss to combine.
- Serve with lemon wedges.
Recipe and image reproduced with permission from Grains & Legume Nutrition Council www.glnc.org.au