The safe disposal of sharps
Sharps are medical devices that penetrate the skin and are used in the home. They include syringes, pen needles, finger prickers or blood glucose lancets and needles used to administer insulin.
For the health and safety of the community it is important to keep sharps out of our waste and recycling systems. For this reason sharps should be disposed of in a strong, puncture-proof container, or a strong plastic container or bottle, which has a secure lid.
Disposing of your sharps
Always make sure your sharps are secured and disposed of in a strong plastic container. Use either:
- An Australian Standard Sharps container
- A puncture-resistant plastic container with a screw top
- Glass and cardboard containers
- Plastic soft-drink/water bottles
NSW sharps disposable locations
There are safe and accessible options to dispose of your sharps in your local community including:
- Public hospitals
- Participating pharmacies
- Community sharps disposal bins
To locate your nearest community sharps disposal facility, or to get more information, visit www.safesharps.org.au
ACT (Canberra and surrounding region) sharps disposable locations
There are safe and accessible options to dispose of your sharps in your local community:
Transport Canberra and City Services provide sharps disposal containers in all public toilets in urban open space.
Sharps containers used by diabetics and other medical syringe users can be dropped off at the following locations:
- Belconnen Health centre – Lathlain St, Belconnen
- City Health Centre – Cnr Alinga and Moore Streets, Canberra City
- Gungahlin Health centre – Ernst Cavanagh Street, Gungahlin
- Phillip Health Centre – Cnr Keltie and Corinna Streets, Woden
- Tuggeranong Health centre – Cnr Anketell and Pitman Street, Tuggeranong
Emergency Disposal (domestic only)
Sharps containers used by people living with diabetes and other medical syringe users can be dropped off at the following locations:
- Gungahlin Recycling Drop Off Centre – O’Brien Place, Gungahlin
- Tuggeranong Recycling Drop Off Centre – Scollay Street, Tuggeranong
- Mitchell recycling drop-off centre – Baillieu Court, Mitchell
- Belconnen recycling drop-off centre – Jolly Street, Belconnen
- Phillip recycling drop-off centre – Botany Court, Phillip
- Mugga Lane Resource Management Centre, Mugga Lane, Symonston
- Mitchell Resource Management Centre, Flemington Road, Mitchell
Please note: there are NO sharps disposal facilities at the West Belconnen recycling drop-off centres.
Full details for ACT (Canberra and surrounding region) can be found here
Find out more
Information on the disposal of sharps is also available in the following languages:
- Europe: Greek, Italian, Turkish
- Middle East: Arabic
- Asia: Chinese (Simplified), Chinese (Traditional), Vietnamese
Health professionals can bulk order copies (max 50) of the leaflet printed in English by calling our Helpline on 1300 342 238.