Best Chocolate Cupcake
- 15 minutes
- 15 minutes
Nutrition per serve
- Energy 900kJ
- Protein 4g
- Fat - total 12g
- - saturated 3g
- Carbohydrates 22g
- Fibre 2
- Sodium 223mg
- 1 1/3 cups all purpose (plain flour)
- 1 ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- ¾ cup milk, hot
- ½ cup oil
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup sour cream, light
- 1 large egg
- Preheat oven to 210°C. If you have heart shaped cupcake trays, line with cupcake paper cases. Alteratively use normal cupcake cases.
- Sift flour, baking soda and salt into a large bowl and mix them together.
- In a separate bowl, sift cocoa powder then add coffee and hot milk. Whisk until the mixture has no lumps.
- Add sugar, oil, egg, sour cream and vanilla to the cocoa mixture and whisk until smooth.
- Pour the wet mixture into the flour mixture bowl. Whisk until smooth and stop once it the batter is smooth and glossy.
- Fill the cupcake hole with the batter until it is ¾ full to prevent an overflow when baking.
- Bake at 210°C for 5 mintues. Then turn down to 190°C for 15 minutes. Use a toothpick to check if the cupcake is ready; the toothpick will come out clean when they are cooked.
- Rest in the cupcakes tin for 5 minutes, then transfer to cooling rack.
- Allow to cool for about 15 minutes. Enjoy.
Note: This recipe makes 14 cupcakes – if you’re not catering for 14 freeze the extras to use in the following weeks. Just remove from the freezer to defrost three to four hours before eating.
Dietitian Notes / Recipe Tips
Hot milk is needed to intensify the chocolate flavour. Do not substitute it for cold or room temperature milk.
These cupcakes can be stored in the fridge and just heat it up in the microwave for 30 seconds to warm it.
Ursula Herula, Accredited Practising Dietitian