Broccoli Pesto Pasta
- Serves 2
- 11 Ingredients
- 15 Minutes Prep
- 15 Minutes Cook
Nutrition per serve
- Energy 2145kJ
- Protein 26.0g
- Fat (total) 22.0g
- - Saturated Fat 3.0g
- Carbohydrate (total) 44.0g
- - Sugar 6.0g
- Fibre 16.0g
- Sodium 166mg
1 1/2 cup pasta shapes (spiral or bows)
1 head broccoli, cut into florets
1 clove garlic, crushed
60g sunflower seeds
2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, grated
1 lemon, zest and juice
1/2 cup basil leaves
1/2 cup mint leaves
1/2 cup frozen peas, defrosted
1/2 zucchini, sliced
- Cook pasta according to packet instructions. Drain pasta, saving about ½ a cup of the cooking water.
- While pasta is cooking, put the broccoli, peas and zucchini in a covered, microwave safe container with 1 tablespoon of water. Microwave for 3 minutes or until the broccoli and zucchini are just tender.
- In a food processor, blitz half the cooked broccoli with the garlic, sunflower kernels, parmesan, lemon zest, 3 tablespoons lemon juice and fresh herbs until it is a chunky pesto texture. If it’s too thick, add a little of the pasta cooking water. Add more lemon juice and black pepper to taste.
- Mix the pesto, pasta and vegetables together and serve.
Dietitian Notes / Recipe Tips
Recipe ‘number of servings’ suggestions and ‘healthy portions’ do not necessarily correlate.
Next time you’re plating up try a spoonful less of the suggested serve size. Once you’ve finished, take a few minutes and ask yourself “am I satisfied?” “Do I need more?”
Being mindful of how we eat or how full we are is often the missing ingredient to maintaining a healthy relationship with food!
Recipe and image reproduced with permission from LiveLighter © State of Western Australia 2017. For more healthy recipes and tips visit www.livelighter.com.au.