Chargilled Chicken and Veggie Stack with Salsa Verde
- Serves 4
- 12 Ingredients
- 10 Minutes Prep
- 20 Minutes Cook
Nutrition per serve
- Energy 948kJ
- Protein 24.1g
- Fat (total) 4.9
- - Saturated Fat 1.1g
- Carbohydrate (total) 15.9g
- - Sugar 14.6g
- Fibre 11.3g
- Sodium 73.2mg
2 cloves garlic, peeled
1/2 cup parsley
1/2 cup basil leaves
1 tablespoon capers, drained
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon water
2 small skinless chicken breasts
Olive or canola oil spray
450g Japanese, Kent or butternut pumpkin, peeled and cut into 3mm slices
1 eggplant, cut into 12x 3mm thick slices
2 red capsicum, seeded and quartered
1 zucchini, cut into 16x 5mm thick slices
32 basil leaves, extra
- To make salsa verde, place garlic, parsley, basil, capers, lemon juice and water into the bowl of a food processor. Process until smooth and set aside.
- Spray a barbecue, char-grill or griddle with oil and heat to high. Halve each chicken breast lengthways to form 4 thin breast steaks. Using a rolling pin, pound steaks between 2 sheets of plastic wrap to 5mm thickness. Cut each in half again to form 8 smaller steaks.
- Place chicken in a small dish with half the salsa verde; stir to coat and set aside to marinate.
- Place vegetables on heated grill and cook in batches for 2-3 minutes each side until lightly charred and just tender. Transfer to a large plate and cover loosely with foil to keep warm; repeat with remaining vegetables.
- Respray grill and cook chicken for 2-3 minutes each side until cooked through.
- To assemble each stack on a serving plate, layer a slice of eggplant, 4 basil leaves, 2 zucchini slices, 2 pumpkin slices, 1 piece capsicum and top with chicken.
- Repeat layers again. Finish with an extra eggplant slice and top with a tablespoon of reserved salsa verde.
- Serve immediately.
Dietitian Notes / Recipe Tips
Cover dish, refrigerate and marinate chicken for as long as time permits, from 30 minutes to overnight.
This salsa verde can add zing to a multitude of other dishes, from a simple salad to a roast dinner.
Recipe and image reproduced with permission from LiveLighter © State of Western Australia 2017. For more healthy recipes and tips visit www.livelighter.com.au.