Cheese and Tomato Pasta Bake©
- Serves 6
- 9 Ingredients
- 15 Minutes Prep
- 3 Minutes Cook
Nutrition per serve
- Energy 1515kJ
- Protein 17g
- Fat (total) 11g
- - Saturated Fat 3g
- Carbohydrate (total) 45g
- Fibre 9g
- Sodium 450mg
300g dried wholemeal penne
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
150g button mushrooms, thinly sliced
2 cups tomato pasta sauce
1 sweet corn cob, kernels removed
1/4 cup basil leaves, chopped
100g low-fat ricotta cheese, crumbled
1 cup fresh wholegrain breadcrumbs
3/4 cup reduced-fat grated mozzarella cheese
- Cook penne, following instructions on the packet, until al dente.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat.
- Add mushrooms and cook, stirring often, for 3-4 minutes until just tender.
- Add tomato pasta sauce, cover and bring to the boil.
- Stir in corn. Remove from heat.
- To make the crunchy cheese topping, place breadcrumbs and remaining oil in a bowl. Stir until well combined. Stir in cheese. Set aside.
- Drain penne and immediately return to the pan.
- Add tomato mixture, basil and ricotta. Gently toss to combine.
- Spoon into lightly greased 6 x 1 ½ cup capacity baking dishes or ramekins. Top with cheese.
- Cook under a preheated grill for 2-3 minutes until golden and serve.
Dietitian Notes / Recipe Tips
Hard cheeses can be a great source of calcium, however they can also be high in fat, sodium and kilojoules. Choosing a reduced fat cheese generally means it contains 25% less fat and is a healthier option. And remember try not to be over zealous when topping your food with cheese.
Recipe and image kindly provided by Sanitarium Health & Wellbeing Company