Chargilled chicken and vegie stack with salsa verde
This delicious ‘all year round’ light meal or entree tastes amazing and is loaded with nutrition; rich in fibre whilst being low in energy and salt.
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/2 cup parsley
- 1/2 cup basil leaves
- 1 tbs capers, drained
- 2 tbs lemon juice
- 1 tbs water
- 2 small skinless chicken breasts
- olive or canola oil spray
- 450g Japanese, Kent or butternut pumpkin, peeled and cut into 3mm slices
- 1 eggplant, cut into 12x 3mm thick slices
- 2 red capsicum, seeded and quartered
- 1 zucchini, cut into 16x 5mm thick slices
- 32 basil leaves, extra
- To make salsa verde, place garlic, parsley, basil, capers, lemon juice and water into the bowl of a food processor. Process until smooth and set aside.
- Spray a barbecue, char-grill or griddle with oil and heat to high. Halve each chicken breast lengthways to form 4 thin breast steaks. Using a rolling pin, pound steaks between 2 sheets of plastic wrap to 5mm thickness. Cut each in half again to form 8 smaller steaks.
- Place chicken in a small dish with half the salsa verde; stir to coat and set aside to marinate.
- Place vegetables on heated grill and cook in batches for 2-3 minutes each side until lightly charred and just tender. Transfer to a large plate and cover loosely with foil to keep warm; repeat with remaining vegetables.
- Respray grill and cook chicken for 2-3 minutes each side until cooked through.
- To assemble each stack on a serving plate, layer a slice of eggplant, 4 basil leaves, 2 zucchini slices, 2 pumpkin slices, 1 piece capsicum and top with chicken.
- Repeat layers again. Finish with an extra eggplant slice and top with a tablespoon of reserved salsa verde.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrition Information (per serve)
|Fat – Total (g)||4.9|
|– Saturated fat (g)||1.1|
|Carbohydrate – Total (g)||15.9|
|– Sugars (g)||14.6|
Cover dish, refrigerate and marinate chicken for as long as time permits, from 30 minutes to overnight.
This salsa verde can add zing to a multitude of other dishes, from a simple salad to a roast dinner.
LiveLighter © State of Western Australia 2017, reproduced with permission. For more healthy recipes and tips visit www.livelighter.com.au.
Disclaimer: The above recipe meets Diabetes NSW&ACT nutrient criteria. However, the opinions expressed www.livelighter.com.au do not necessarily reflect the views of Diabetes NSW&ACT.
Please note the serving size listed is to be used as a guide only. Consider your own individual nutrient and carbohydrate requirements and adjust the serving size as needed. If you are unsure of your requirements consult an Accredited Practising Dietitian (APD) for individualised advice.