Creamy cauliflower, chicken and split pea soup
- 20 minutes
- 60 minutes
Nutrition per serve
- Energy 1843 kJ
- Protein 7g
- Fat - total 20g
- Fat - saturated 2.5g
- Carboydrate 26.75g
- Fibre 4.7g
- Sodium 334mg
1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
1 onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
500g cauliflower, chopped
1 cup McKenzie’s yellow split peas
½ cup raw cashews
2L chicken stock
To taste, McKenzie’s Australian natural sea salt
To taste, McKenzie’s whole black peppercorn
2 x 200g chicken breast fillet
1 tbs sunflower seeds, toasted
1 tsp sesame seeds, toasted
1 cup mutligrain croutons
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the spice and stir for 30 seconds until fragrant. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 5 minutes or until softened.
- Add the cauliflower, split peas, cashews, salt and pepper and stock. Increase the heat to high and bring to the boil. Cover with a lid, reduce the heat to medium and cook for 30 minutes or until the split peas are tender. Add more water if required.
- Add the chicken, cover and cook for an additional 12 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Removed the chicken from the soup. Cool and shred.
- Using a hand stick blender, blend the soup until smooth.
- Divide the soup between bowls and top with shredded chicken, toasted seeds and croutons.
Dietitian Notes / Recipe Tips
Hint: Use salt reduced chicken stock for a heart friendly recipe.
You can swap croutons in this recipe for slice of multigrain bread or make your own croutons. To do so, simply chop a slice of multigrain bread into thick chunks. Drizzle with small amount of olive oil and toast in the oven for 10 minutes on 180 degrees Celsius. Voila, ready to add onto your soup.
Recipe and image kindly provided by McKenzies Foods: https://www.mckenziesfoods.com.au/.