Curry Chicken with Currants and Beans
- Serves 4
- 12 Ingredients
- 15 Minutes Prep
- 10 Minutes Cook
Nutrition per serve
- Energy 2675kJ
- Protein 59.3g
- Fat (total) 20g
- - Saturated Fat 4.9g
- Carbohydrate (total) 55.4g
- - Sugar 25.8g
- Fibre 6.8g
- Sodium 288mg
1 tablespoon light cooking oil
1 large brown onion
2-3 garlic cloves, crushed
700g chicken breast or thigh fillets, trimmed, cut into strips
2 tablespoons Keens curry powder (a basic non-spicy powder)
375ml can evaporated skim milk
1 tablespoon coconut essence
4 tablespoons currants / small sweet rindless raisins
400g green beans, trimmed, cut in thirds
2 cups cooked Doongara rice (low GI rice)
Fresh coriander to serve
2 cucumbers, peeled, sliced to serve
- Heat oil in frypan over low heat. Add onion and cook until soft and translucent.
- Turn heat up to medium and add chicken and garlic. Cook for several minutes until the chicken has turned slightly golden.
- Add curry powder and stir well. Cook until fragrant – the point when the spices start wafting from the pan.
- Turn heat down to low and add evaporated milk, coconut essence and currants.
- Simmer for around 5 minutes and throw in the green beans. Continue to simmer for another few minutes then turn off heat.
- Serve rice topped with curry, a handful of coriander and a side of cucumber.
Dietitian Notes / Recipe Tips
Curries are often high in fat due to the use of coconut milk. By replacing this with evaporated skim milk and a small amount of coconut essence you can help turn your indulgent curry recipe into a healthy family favourite!
Recipe and image reproduced with permission from www.gestationaldiabetesrecipes.com