Date and Muesli Slice
- Makes 32
- 9 Ingredients
- 10 Minutes Prep
- 35 Minutes Cook
Nutrition per serve
- Energy 383kJ
- Protein 1.6g
- Fat (total) 1.7g
- - Saturated Fat 0.4g
- Carbohydrate (total) 16.7g
- Sodium 14mg
Olive or canola oil spray
2 medium apples, core removed, coarsely grated with skin on
1/3 cup water
1/4 cup margarine
2 cups dates, seeded
2 cups natural muesli
1/2 cup plain flour
1/2 cup wholemeal plain flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan forced).
- Lightly spray a slice tin (approx. 25 x 30 cm) with oil.
- Add apple, water, margarine and dates to a small saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for a further 5 minutes until the apple is soft.
- Cook uncovered for a further 5 minutes and stir occasionally until mixture thickens to a paste-like consistency.
- While apple and date mixture is cooking, place muesli in a large frypan. Stir over low heat for 5 minutes until lightly browned.
- Sift flours into a large bowl, returning husk remaining in the sieve to the bowl.
- Add cinnamon and muesli to the flours and mix to combine.
- Stir into the date mixture then spoon into prepared tin.
- Bake for 20 minutes until firm.
- Cool in tin before cutting.
Dietitian Notes / Recipe Tips
Full of fruit and fibre this little treat is a great alternative to many packaged biscuits. Why not make a batch and freeze them, they make great lunch box snacks or are perfect for when visitors pop in.
Recipe and image reproduced with permission from LiveLighter © State of Western Australia 2013.