Lemon and Herb Roast Chicken with Vegetables
- Serves 4
- 10 Ingredients
- 15 Minutes Prep
- 1 Hour 30 Minutes Cook
Nutrition per serve
- Energy 1854kJ
- Protein 48.5g
- Fat (total) 11.8g
- - Saturated Fat 2.4g
- Carbohydrate (total) 30.6g
- Fibre 7.5g
- Sodium 124mg
Olive or canola oil spray
1 whole chicken
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tablespoons dried mixed herbs
freshly ground or cracked black pepper
4 medium potatoes
1/2 pumpkin, cut into chunks
4 whole onions, peeled
1 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Lightly spray a large roasting tray with the oil.
- Pat dry the chicken with paper towel.
- In a small bowl, mix together garlic, mixed herbs and a generous amount of pepper.
- Rub the mix all over the skin of the chicken and inside.
- Pierce the lemons all over with a knife. Put the lemons inside the cavity of the chicken. Place the chicken, breast side up, onto the roasting tray and cook for 45 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix potato, pumpkin, onions and oil.
- Remove chicken from oven. Carefully turn chicken over to cook breast side down. Add vegetable mix evenly around the chicken.
- Bake for a further 40-45 minutes or until juices run clear when the chicken thigh is pierced with a skewer.
- Remove chicken from oven, cover with foil and set aside to rest for 5-10 minutes before serving.
Dietitian Notes / Recipe Tips
To add extra colour and appeal to this meal, serve with steamed non-starchy vegetables such as broccoli, carrots, green beans and squash. These vegetables will add loads of fibre, vitamins and minerals.
Recipe and image reproduced with permission from LiveLighter © State of Western Australia 2013.