Lentil, feta and honey roast carrot salad
You won't be able to resist this warm nutritious tumble of goodness with chewy lentils, sweet roasted carrots, crumbly feta and zesty pomegranate seeds. This salad is super easy to make and is the perfect meat-free Monday meal!
- 10 minutes
- 60 minutes
Nutrition per serve
- Energy 1,626kJ
- Protein 18g
- Total fat 14.6g
- - saturated fat 3.6g
- Carbohydrate 40.3g
- Fibre 10.4g
- Sodium 397.4mg
- A handful (1/2 cup) of baby kale
- 100g marinated feta
- 6 dates sliced
- 2 bunches (10) of Baby or Heirloom carrots, whichever is available
- 1 ½ cup dry brown lentils
- 1 litre water
- 1 tablespoon of cumin
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 1 tablespoon of sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon of pomegranate seeds
- ½ cup of lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves of crushed garlic
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Line the baking tray with baking paper. Place the carrots on the baking tray, spreading them out so they are not on top of each other. Drizzle olive oil and season with cumin and salt. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden. When they are done drizzle honey and sesame seeds, put back in the oven for three minutes, then set aside.
- Meanwhile, rinse the lentils under cold water, place in a pot with a lid and with the water. Bring to boil and then reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 45 minutes or until tender (or when liquid is absorbed).
- To make the dressing, mix lemon juice, oil, garlic, salt and chilli flakes, set aside.
- Once lentils are tender drain and allow to steam dry.
- Add lentils into a serving bowl, assemble carrots, baby kale and dates, crumble the feta roughly, add the dressing, garnish with some pomegranate seeds, and serve!
Dietitian Notes / Recipe Tips
You can pick your own grain, bigger grains work best in this recipe. We suggest trying wholegrain freekeh.
Dyala Al Jabi, APD