Low Carb Spaghetti Marinara
- 5 minutes
- 15 minutes
Nutrition per serve
- Energy 1442Kj
- Protein 44g
- Total fat 13.4g
- - saturated fat 2.1g
- Carbohydrate 7.8g
- Fibre 6.3g
- Sodium 422mg
- 1 x 125g pack of Zucchini noodles or 125g of zucchini to make your own (see note below)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 700g cherry tomatoes
- 4 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
- 750g seafood marinara mix
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Juice of 2 lemons, about 5 tablespoons
- ½ cup chopped parsley
- 120g rocket
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts
- Black pepper
Note – What are zucchini noodles?
Zucchini noodles or zoodles are noodles made from fresh zucchini. So, they don’t contain carbohydrate like dry or fresh pasta. That’s great if you want to cut back on carbs but if you dose insulin or take a sulfonylurea medication you need to keep this in mind.
You can buy zucchini noodles in major supermarkets ready made or use a spiralizer, julienne peeler or madoline to make them at home – be careful of your fingers with these sharp gadgets! You can eat them raw, mix them with a hot (temperature hot!) sauce, zap them for a minute in the microwave or sauté them on a pan for 1-2 minutes.
- Heat oil over a medium heat in a large frying pan.
- Cook the onion, stirring, until softened. Reduce heat to low and add the tomatoes and garlic.
- Cook until the tomatoes start to collapse. Add the marinara mix and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until seafood is cooked.
- Heat zucchini noodles according to instructions on the packet or make your own.
- Add zucchini noodles to the seafood mixture with lemon zest, lemon juice, parsley and rocket. Toss until combined. Season with pepper. Sprinkle with pine nuts.