Peach Chicken Salad
- Serves 4
- 12 Ingredients
- 10 Minutes Prep
- 30 Minutes Cook
Nutrition per serve
- Energy 2076kJ
- Protein 49.6g
- Fat (total) 17.5g
- - Saturated Fat 5.4g
- Carbohydrate (total) 32g
- - Sugar 19.3g
- Fibre 5.4g
- Sodium 192mg
4 single chicken breast fillets, approximately 800g
Light olive oil spray
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
400g small new potatoes, quartered
150g low fat plain or Greek yoghurt
1/2 cup of finely chopped shallots
1 small orange zested and juiced
3 medium tomatoes, trimmed, quartered
600g ripe peaches or nectarines, hulled, quartered
1 large telegraph cucumber or 3 small cucumbers, peeled, halved lengthways, chopped
1/3 cup finely chopped fresh mint leaves
200g baby spinach or salad leave
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil. Cook potatoes for 10 minutes or until just cooked. Drain and set aside.
- Lightly grease a large non-stick frying pan with olive oil spray. Heat over medium-high heat. Season both sides of chicken breasts with pepper. Add to the pan and cook for 5 -10 minutes each side or until cooked through.
- Turn up heat to high and pour in balsamic vinegar. Allow to slightly caramalise but not burn. Remove chicken and let sit for 5 minutes before slicing thickly across the grain. Keep juice in pan.
- In a cup combine yoghurt, juice from pan, shallots, orange juice and zest and mix well. Season to taste.
- In a large mixing bowl add tomatoes, peaches, cucumber, mint and potato. Add yoghurt dressing and toss. Now add salad leaves and gently fold in to avoid crushing them.
- Divide salad amongst bowls and top with slices of chicken. (Remember, only the equivalent of 1 small potato and 150g peaches per person to stay within the carbohydrate allowance).
Dietitian Notes / Recipe Tips
To lower the glycemic index (GI) of this recipe try substituting the new potatoes with orange sweet potato or Carisma potatoes.
Recipe and image reproduced with permission from www.gestationaldiabetesrecipes.com with thanks.