Spiced Chicken Lentil Salad
- 75 Minutes
Nutrition per serve
- Energy 2714 kJ
- Protein 50.5g
- Fat - Total 21.1g
- Fat - saturated 4.9g
- Carbohydrate 55.2g
- Fibre 21.4g
- Sodium 183mg
- ¾ cup (150g) dried green lentils, rinsed, drained
- 1 clove garlic, peeled, bruised
- 1 dried bay leaf
- ¼ butternut pumpkin (500g)
- 1 small carrot (70g)
- 1 small beetroot (beet) (100g), peeled
- 1 small red onion (100g), cut into wedges
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon mild paprika
- ½ teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- ¼ cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 200g (6½-ounce) chicken breast fillet
- ½ teaspoon each ground coriander and turmeric
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin, extra
- 100g (3 ounces) radicchio, shredded
- 40g (1½ ounces) goat’s cheese, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon micro red radish leaves
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons verjuice (e.g. unripened grape juice)
- ½ teaspoon dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 small clove garlic, crushed
1 Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F. Grease and line an oven tray with baking paper.
2 Combine lentils, garlic and bay leaf in a medium saucepan. Cover well with water. Bring to the boil, reduce heat to low; simmer, covered, for 40 minutes or until tender. Drain; discard bay leaf and garlic. Transfer lentils to a large bowl.
3 Meanwhile, cut pumpkin, carrot and beetroot into 2cm (¾-inch) pieces; combine with onion in a large bowl. Drizzle with 2 teaspoons of the oil; sprinkle with cumin, paprika and thyme, toss well to coat. Spread vegetable mixture on oven tray. Bake for 40 minutes, stirring halfway through cooking, or until tender.
4 Make mustard dressing: Place ingredients in a screw-top jar; shake well to combine. Season with pepper.
5 Add vegetables, parsley and dressing to lentils; mix well.
6 Rub remaining oil over the chicken, sprinkle with combined ground coriander, turmeric and extra cumin. Cook chicken on a heated grill plate (or grill or barbecue) over medium-high heat for 5 minutes each side or until cooked through. Remove from heat; stand, covered, for 5 minutes, before slicing.
7 Arrange radicchio on serving plates, top with lentil salad, chicken, cheese and micro leaves.
Image and recipe from The Australian Women’s Weekly, Food for Life, by arrangement Bauer Books, a division Bauer Media Australia. Copyright © 2017
Disclaimer: The above recipe meets Diabetes NSW & ACT nutrient criteria. However, the opinions expressed in The Australian Women’s Weekly, Food for Life, do not necessarily reflect the views of Diabetes NSW & ACT.
Please note the serving size listed is to be used as a guide only. Consider your own individual nutrient and carbohydrate requirements and adjust the serving size as needed. If you are unsure of your requirements consult an Accredited Practising Dietitian (APD) for individualised advice