Spicy Pumpkin Soup
- Serves 4
- 13 Ingredients
- 5 Minutes Prep
- 20 Minutes Cook
Nutrition per serve
- Energy 1457kJ
- Protein 12.7g
- Fat (total) 4.5g
- - Saturated Fat 0.7g
- Carbohydrate (total) 58.1g
- Fibre 10.6g
- Sodium 431mg
1 teaspoon canola oil
1 onion, chopped
3 clove garlic. chopped
1 tablespoons ground cumin
2 tablespoons curry powder
3 cups pumpkin, peeled and chopped into 2cm cubes
1 small sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into 2cm cubes
2 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped into 2cm cubes
1 apple, peeled, cored and quartered
1 reduced-salt vegetable stock cube (or 1 teaspoon powder)
1 litre water
4 tablespoons low-fat natural or Greek yoghurt, to serve
4 slices of wholemeal or multigrain bread, to serve
- Heat oil in a large pot and fry onion, garlic, cumin and curry powder for 2 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer for 10 minutes or until the vegetables are just soft.
- Use a stick blender, normal blender or food processor to blitz the soup till smooth. Add more water if you prefer a runnier soup.
- Serve with a slice of toast and a spoonful of yoghurt.
Dietitian Notes / Recipe Tips
If you are making the soup to freeze, use less water and make a very thick soup. When cooled, put a big ladleful in a freezer bag, squeeze out all the air and then freeze. To defrost, put in the microwave or a pot with a ladleful of water.
Recipe and image reproduced with permission from LiveLighter © State of Western Australia 2013.