Warm Pumpkin, Beef and Spinach Salad
- Serves 4
- 12 Ingredients
- 10 Minutes Prep
- 35 Minutes Cook
Nutrition per serve
- Energy 2294kJ
- Protein 54.2g
- Fat (total) 14.2g
- - Saturated Fat 3.8g
- Carbohydrate (total) 43.3g
- - Sugar 23.1g
- Fibre 14.2g
- Sodium 377mg
1 kg jap, kent or butternut pumpkin, peeled and cut into 1 1/2 cm dice
2 cloves garlic, unpeeled
Olive or canola oil spray
1 tablespoon ground cumin
200g baby spinach or mixed leaves
420g can no-added-salt chickpeas, drained
1/2 bunch coriander, chopped
500g lean rump steak, fat trimmed
200g low-fat natural or Greek yoghurt
Juice of 1/4 lemon
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin, extra
1/2 teaspoon honey
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan forced).
- Place pumpkin cubes in a single layer on a oven tray lined with baking paper. Add garlic.
- Lightly spray with oil, sprinkle with 1/2 tablespoon cumin and roast in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until tender, turning halfway through cooking.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl combine spinach, chickpeas and coriander.
- Lightly spray a large non-stick fry pan with oil and place on medium to high heat.
- Sprinkle remaining cumin onto both sides of steak.
- Grill for 3 minutes each side or until cooked to your liking.
- Remove from heat, cover and set aside to rest for 3 minutes before slicing thinly.
- To make dressing, squeeze cooked garlic out of its skin and mash in a small bowl.
- Add in yoghurt, lemon juice, extra cumin and honey; mix to combine.
- To serve, divide salad ingredients among serving plates then top with pumpkin and beef.
- Pour dressing over salad just before serving or serve in individual dishes on the side
Dietitian Notes / Recipe Tips
Baby spinach is a source of non-heme iron. This type of iron is harder for our body to use compared to heme iron (the kind we find in meat). To boost our absorption of non-heme iron try adding vitamin C rich vegetables (such as capsicum).
Variation: Add 300g blanched green beans or asparagus. Replace chickpeas with drained no-added-salt cannellini beans, butter beans or four bean mix.
Recipe and image reproduced with permission from LiveLighter © State of Western Australia 2013.