Vanilla Bean Yoghurt with Poached Rhubarb
Spice up your usual fruit and yoghurt with this simple and tasty recipe. A delightful mix of poached rhubarb and creamy vanilla flavoured yoghurt.
Recipe developed by the Dairy Kitchen wwww.dairyaustralia.com.au/recipes.
- 600 g reduced fat Australian yoghurt
- 300 g rhubarb, approx. 6 stems, cut into 5 cm lengths
- 2 strips of orange rind
- 1 Tbs water
- 1 1/2 Tbs caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence or scraped beans from a vanilla pod
- Place yogurt into a paper towel lined sieve, over a large bowl
- Cover and refrigerate for 1-2 hours or overnight
- Place rhubarb, orange rind, water and sugar in a frying pan
- Simmer gently for 6-8 minutes until rhubarb is just tender. Allow to cool
- Stir vanilla into yoghurt and spoon between serving glasses
- Top with rhubarb mixture and serve
This recipe is low in fat and contains a wonderful mix of vitamins and minerals. In particular yoghurt is a good source of calcium which is important for bone health. Remember to choose low fat or skim varieties of yoghurt to reduce your saturated fat intake. Saturated fat can increase your risk of heart disease.
Nutritional Information (per serve)
|Total Fat (g)||2.7|
|Saturated Fat (g)||1.7|
|Dietary Fibre (g)||2.0|
The above recipe meets the nutrition criteria set by Diabetes NSW. However, the opinions expressed on wwww.dairyaustralia.com.au/recipes do not necessarily reflect the views of Diabetes NSW.